주메뉴 바로가기 본문내용 바로가기

News·Publications

Home News·Publications Newsroom Newsroom
News View
Experience with Observing the 2023 Paraguayan General Elections as Observer of the A-WEB Mission
Last updated 2023-05-23

Experience with Observing the 2023 Paraguayan General Elections as Observer of the A-WEB Mission

Contributed by

ALTANCHIMEG Purevsuren

Senior officer of ITC of

General Election Commission of Mongolia

At the invitation of the Supreme Electoral Justice Tribunal (TSJE, acronym in Spanish,​) of Paraguay, the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) sent an election mission. Its mission comprised four election officials and electoral experts from four countries, including Belgium, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, and Mongolia, with two representatives from the A-WEB Secretariat. A-WEB deployed a team to observe the 2023 General Elections of the Republic of Paraguay from April 26 to May 1, 2023, in Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay. I was one of the participants from the General Election Commission of Mongolia in the Election Visitor Program (EVP). Therefore, I would like to share my experience observing the electoral system in Paraguay.

TSJE provided high-quality information sessions from April 26 to 29 to international election observers to give a clear understanding of the Paraguayan election system, the legal framework of the election, the general organization of the election, voter outreach programs, and voting devices. They even organized meetings for election missions with presidential candidates, non-governmental organizations, and researchers about the country's political situation and democracy.

Additionally, A-WEB's observer guide contains all essential information about the Paraguayan election system handed out on the first day of EVP. A-WEB's Election Visitor Program provided three separate briefing sessions to train the participants about the election observation methodology, the electoral system (including the use of electronic voting devices), political parties, candidates, campaign issues, and election-day procedures, as well as debriefing session to exchange impressions about the electoral system in the country and think about areas for improvement.

The 2023 General Elections were held on the same day to elect the President and Vice-President, 45 members of the Chamber of Senators (Upper Chamber), 80 members of the Chamber of Deputies (lower Chamber), 17 Governors (departments), and 257 Departmental Councilors. Totally, Paraguayans elected 768 political positions from 9,095 candidates from 26 parties.

Highlights of the 2023 General Elections

Electoral roll: 4,832,186 voters are registered on the voter list. 49% (2,372,444) are female voters, and 51% (2,459,742) are male voters. Registration on the electoral roll can be done online and offline. It is said that women in urban areas turned out at higher rates. Of the eligible voters, 31% (1,489,501) are young voters aged between 18 and 29. They are automatically registered on the electoral roll to increase youth participation in elections. Voting is compulsory for registered voters. Voters who do not vote must pay a fine of USD 14. Voter turnout for the 2023 presidential elections was 63.23%, a slight increase from 61.25% in 2018. 

Voting from abroad: Paraguayans living abroad can participate in presidential and senatorial elections. These 41,505 voters represent 0.87% of the total voting population and are registered at 88 polling stations in four countries: Argentina, Brazil, the USA, and Spain. Paraguayans living in other countries are ineligible to vote through electronic voting. Those voters can participate in only two elections, presidential & senatorial elections. As TSJE announced, voters can also vote by mail.

Home voting: TSJE provides home voting to help voters with disabilities participate in electoral processes. It took place on election day when the general population cast their ballots.

Polling Station Setup: Paraguay's polling stations were quite different from Mongolia. There are 1,157 polling centers (electoral precincts) nationwide, primarily public schools. Those polling centers contain 10 to 16 polling stations (voting tables). There are 12,259 polling stations, and the maximum number of voters per polling station is 400. A polling station is run by three members (one chairman and two members) who organize the voting process. 

Besides the polling station members, the other actors present in the electoral precincts are the precinct coordinators designated by TSJE, council members, the technical support team members, TREP officers, helpdesk staff, and police officers. In addition, party observers (a primary observer and an alternate) are allowed in voting precincts. Polling stations remain open from 07:00 to 16:00. It was also interesting for me because, in my country, polling stations are available for about 15 hours from 07:00 to 22:00.

Election system: the system used for senatorial, Chamber of Deputies, and department council elections was radically transformed and moved from a closed list to an open list system. Compared to previous elections, where voters were only allowed to express one vote for the entire list, this time, voters can choose one preference for one single candidate. This is for municipal council elections. As a result, voters can directly modify the list order provided by parties by giving preference votes to candidates on the list.

The voting modality has been changed: voters cast their ballots through electronic voting machines.

The entire country will use e-voting devices for the first time. A large share of the voting population already knows how to operate the voting machines, as the same system was used for the 2021 local and 2022 primary elections. In addition, TSJE organized large-scale training across the country over the last few months.

The voting machine has a touch screen and DRE (Direct-recording electronic) system. There are two ways to record voters' choices: a printed receipt and digital data on a chip inside a ballot. The machine can be used for the counting process too. The voting machine is not connected to the Internet. A total of 15,380 voting devices were used in the elections.

Voting: Voting starts at 07:00 on election day. The voter inserts the ballot into the machine and makes choices on the screen at the polling booth. After confirming their choice, a hard copy of the voter's selection is printed out. The voter verifies the receipt, folds it, and returns to the table where plastic bags for ballot papers are attached;

Closing procedure: After the polls are closed at 16:00, the polling station staff will switch the device's operating mode and start the ballot-counting process. The ballot paper has a chip, and the voter's choice is stored on this chip. Voting information is recorded in two ways, in paper form and the form of data on a chip. Once the device is switched to counting mode, the ballots are read one by one, and the total result of the polling station is obtained. After counting, the results are printed and signed by all polling station members. Complete results are printed for all polling station observers.

Transmission of Results / Transmission process: Once the vote-counting process finishes, the TREP (Transmission of Preliminary Election Results, acronym in Spanish) results certificate, the minutes of the counting, and the results certificates are printed and signed by all the polling station members.

Finally, a TREP officer in charge of transmitting the results sends the result certificate to the headquarters of TSJE. The results certificates are shared with party observers. The fact that the TREP venue is located within the electoral precinct ensures voting records are not tampered with. The speed and quality of the scanner enable an expedited and efficient transmission of voting records.

TSJE collects the received results and shares the preliminary election results directly on its website. Within three hours, 92% of counting results were collected from polling stations nationwide.

Things I Found New and Interesting in the 2023 General Elections

The first thing is a help desk for voters. There is a help desk for voters who need assistance at the entrance of each electoral precinct. The help desk is usually located near the entrance.

This desk is staffed by trained students who are interns at TSJE to provide necessary assistance and information to voters with special needs. For example, the help desk offers braille instructions, audio headsets, magnifying glasses, and information on assisted voting to support disabled voters, the elderly, pregnant women, and voters carrying children. In addition, its staff helps voters explain how to use the voting machine using a practice device.

As TSJE explained, Paraguay used e-voting devices for the first time in national elections even though they lost 8,000 machines in a massive fire last year. I am an IT person in my country and am in charge of the e-voting system. Therefore, I was very interested in the Paraguayan e-voting device and worried about using it. E-voting devices were successfully applied to the elections without any major issues. I want to congratulate TSJE for conducting the general elections smoothly.

Also, I was interested in electoral system reform from a closed list to an open-list proportional system. It was also interesting because my country has used a plurality system for many years (except in 2012). Currently, the Parliament is discussing a parallel system with an open-list proportional system. As I observed, Paraguayans implemented the open-list system without problems.

Even a voting machine was suitable for an open list system. TSJE developed an e-voting simulation application /https://simuladoroficial.tsje.gov.py/ to help voters practice voting. It was an excellent idea for me. An open-list system and voting machines were used in the simulation. They did a great job. 

Thanks to A-WEB for organizing an EVP for the 2023 general elections in Paraguay. Everything was well-organized. The participants learned many things from the EVP program and the Paraguayan election system.

Relevant article

http://aweb.org/eng/bbs/B0000013/view.do?nttId=15688&searchCnd=&searchWrd=&gubun=1&delcode=0&useAt=&replyAt=&menuNo=300040&sdate=&edate=&deptId=&isk=&ise=&viewType=&type=&countrySn=&pageIndex=1