주메뉴 바로가기 본문내용 바로가기

News·Publications

Home News·Publications Newsroom Newsroom
News View
Congratulations from Chairperson
Last updated 2014-10-16

Dear Esteemed Chairpersons of EMBs and representatives of partner organizations,

Today, the Association of World Election Bodies marks the first anniversary of its establishment.

For the past year since its Inaugural Assembly held in Incheon, the Republic of Korea, October 2013, A-WEB has strived hard to build itself as the international organization that supports the establishment of good governance as well as the sustainable development of democracy through free and fair elections.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all representatives of EMBs and international organizations who joined us in our efforts to contribute to the advancement of democracy worldwide.

With your support during the first year of its establishment, A-WEB has seen meaningful fruition of its efforts through the Secretariat launching for effective coordination of projects, Election Visitor Program of the Local Elections in the Republic of Korea where 111 people from 43 countries participated, deployment of international election observers, six sessions of Capacity Building Program, Election Law Seminars for election officials of Burkina Faso and Cameroon and five MOUs with international development aid agencies.

Our experiences through past centuries of history have demonstrated that all men are free and equal and that democracy is the most ideal political system that ensures freedom and equality. Election stands as the most essential component of this democracy.

The importance of election is immeasurable because a representative elected through election impacts not only the future of a country but also the world peace.

Election, a product of long experience and wisdom of mankind, is the “flower of democracy” that takes roots in the soil of freedom and fairness. Only through transparent, strict management of elections can we attain electoral democracy.

Non-transparent or unfair elections can hinder democratic progress only to divide the people, cause domestic and international conflicts and leave the people controlled by the logic of power and private interests.

Now the world has high expectation for A-WEB to defend the human rights, freedom and equality through free and fair democratic elections.

Once again, I would like to express my gratitude to the member EMBs and partner organizations for taking a small but strong step together with A-WEB this past year.

I look forward to sharing the future of A-WEB with all of you as the guardians of democracy as we build blocks for the advancement of democracy worldwide through free and fair elections.

Thank you.

Lee In-Bok
Chairperson
Association of World Election Bodies