- Central Election Commission (Latvia)
- EMB : Central Election Commission
- Website : https://www.cvk.lv
- Join : 2013
- EMB Information
· Date of formation : 1992
· Number of staff at EMB : The Central Election Commission consists of nine members. The Chairperson and seven Commission members are elected by Saeima, while one member from among the judges is elected by the Supreme Court at its general meeting.
· Main functions of EMB
- to ensure that the Saeima Election Law, the Law on Elections to the European Parliament, the City Council and Regional Council Election Law, the Law on National Referendum and Initiation of Legislation are uniformly and properly applied and strictly enforced;
- to inform and educate voters and inhabitants of Latvia about the voting procedure at elections or national referendums, including referendums on legislative initiatives;
- to make decisions, give orders and elaborate instructions regarding preparations and procedure of elections, referenda and legislative initiatives;
- to determine the distribution of state-allocated financial resources among local election commissions; coordinate and administer the work of local election commissions; to provide training for members of local election commissions;
- to prepare proposals for improvement of legislation of elections, referendum and legislative initiatives;
- to compile election or referendum results and publish them in a separate publication;
- to review complaints regarding preparations and procedure of elections, referenda, including referenda on legislative initiatives;
- to review and annul unlawful decisions of local election commissions.